07th Jul 2021.
Planning an engagement session in Austin or its surrounding areas?
From the waterfront views to the hustle and bustle of the city, there are plenty of options to consider as you plan your shot list. And did you hear? If you purchase a wedding package with us, you can get a FREE engagement session.
Whether you live here or are just passing through, we’ve gotten recommendations from our local team for the best of the best Austin engagement photoshoot locations!
Best Austin Engagement Photoshoot Locations
Based on our personal experience with Joy couples, here are some of our favorite photoshoot spots in Austin, Texas. We’ve also added photographic evidence of why we’re such big fans of this city and the couples who live here!
Where to Take Engagement Photos in Austin
- Get a glimpse of the Austin skyline from Butler Metro Park. Formerly known as Town Lake Metro Park, this is one of the best parks in Austin. If you’re fans of all-things Austin, this view of the skyline and the observation hill that overlooks Lady Bird Lake will absolutely take your breath away. Get out in the fresh Austin air and enjoy making some priceless memories together. See more of this adorable engagement session here. Learn more.
Location: 1000 Barton Springs Road, Austin, Texas 78704
- Enjoy the south Austin neighborhood vibes at the South Congress Hotel. For one of the trendier spots of south Austin, you don’t have to go any further than South Congress avenue to get a taste of the local flair. This boutique hotel located in the iconic neighborhood features moody hardwood floors, cozy seating areas, and tons of geometric art. Start with your engagement photos at the hotel and then step outside to capture a few photos in front of the iconic ‘I Love You So Much’ mural at Jo’s Coffee! (And if you’re planning to get married nearby, booking a suite here for your wedding night could allow you to walk down memory lane together.) Learn more.
Location: 1603 South Congress Ave, Austin, Texas 78704
- Paint your love at the Blanton Museum of Art. With over 19,000 pieces of art, this museum is known for their European paintings, modern and contemporary American and Latin American art. The most magnificent feature is the 2,715 square foot stone building with colored glass windows and marble panels. If you’re lovers of art and it plays a role in your relationship, this is one of the best Austin engagement photoshoot locations. Make sure to plan ahead because they only allow for sessions shoots at certain times and days of the week and there is a $200 photoshoot fee. Learn more.
Location: 200 East Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. Austin, Texas 78712
- Display your state or university pride at the University of Texas at Austin campus. Whether or not you’re a student, graduate, or fan of the University of Texas, the campus is well-known for its mix of architecture: contemporary, Art Deco to Victorian. Our favorite spots for an engagement shoot on campus include Littlefield Home, UT Tower, and Claudia Taylor Johnson Hall. You will also find large oak and palm trees here! Submit a request at least 2 weeks beforehand to get permission for your photography session. Learn more.
Location: 110 Inner Campus Drive, Austin, Texas 78705
- Share kisses in front of the Koi pond at the Zilker Botanical Gardens. From the Taniguchi Japanese Garden to the Hartman Prehistoric Garden, there are plenty of shaded areas filled with beautiful greenery and romantic walkways. You will need to plan in advance to get a special pass for your session which will cost $50 and allow entrance of the both of you and your photographer. (Another perk? With its central location in downtown Austin, this can be just one stop on your engagement photoshoot agenda!) Learn more.
Location: Address: 2220 Barton Springs Road, Austin, Texas 78746
- Showcase your love for the outdoors and each other the McKinney Falls State Park. Whether you want to showcase your love of fishing, hiking, or biking, this is the perfect place for engagement photos if you consider yourselves to be lovers of the outdoors. The beautiful Onion Creek flows over limestone and is unlike any other location in Austin. Keep in mind that their busy season is March-November but there’s plenty of room to roam. Admission is only $6 for adults. Learn more.
Location: 5808 McKinney Falls Parkway, Austin, Texas 7874
- Enjoy a waterfront view at Mueller Lake Park. Located on the Upper East Side, this is one of the bigger park options for your engagement session in the Austin area. Feed the geese, walk down the sidewalk that wraps around the lake or pose in front of a fountain. You can even take your fur baby, too! If you prefer to get another park option to add to your list, Mueller’s park system features eight different park locations spanning across 140 acres, each with their own unique vibe. Learn more.
Location: 4550 Mueller Boulevard, Austin, Texas 78723
- Let out your eclectic side over at East Side Austin. One of the best parts about East Austin are the colorful buildings! Park your car and walk hand in hand. Because of its relaxed vibe, your photographer will be able to get a variety of natural photos of you together without coming across as formal or too contrived. The colors will pop off the mural-covered walls and will help to add some additional dimensions to your photos. In addition to the art, you will find a variety of coffee shops, bars and breweries that may be able to accurately reflect who you are as a couple.
Where to Take Engagement Photos Outside the Austin City Limits
Splash each other playfully at the Cibolo Nature Center.
If you’re looking for a unique setting that reflects your love for nature, this is one of the best Austin engagement photoshoot locations. (Need proof? Check out this photo album!)
You can stand in the creek, lean up against Cypress or Oak canopies or cuddle up in an open prairie field. Keep in mind that you will need a permit for the session which costs $25. Learn more.
Location: 140 City Park Road, Boerne, Texas 78006
- Take a picnic to the Old Settlers Park. With plenty of space to set down a picnic blanket, play sports or walk on trails, there are options for your engagement session to help feature who you are as a couple. If you’re both outdoorsy, this is a beautiful space for your photographer to capture some stunning photos in your natural element. Learn more.
Location: 3300 Palm Valley Boulevard, Round Rock, Texas
- Walk, or dance, down memory lane at Gruene Hall. If you’re looking for some place unique, this is one of the best Austin engagement photoshoot locations. Known as the oldest dance hall in Texas, Gruene Hall has been around since 1878! There’s history everywhere you look, and you’ll feel like you’ve brushed shoulders with musical royalty since live musicians from Willie Nelson to Loretta Lynn have performed here in the past. Look up their calendar in advance. Learn more.
Location: 1281 Gruene Road, New Braunfels, Texas 78130
- Celebrate your love at the Celebrino Event Center. If you have a shared love for architecture and the outdoors, this is a very good option to consider for your engagement session. The grounds are beautiful, featuring lines of trees, a fountain that dances and lights up, and a classy outdoor gazebo. The actual event space is a work of art and makes for some interesting photos, too. (Since this is an official event space large enough for up to 400 guests, it’s also a suitable option for your future wedding venue!) Learn more.
Location: 51 County Road 107, Georgetown, Texas 78626
Hire a Photographer for Your Austin Engagement Session
It was tough to narrow it down, so we hope that you liked our recommendations for the best Austin engagement photoshoot locations. And if you’re looking for a professional photographer in the area, we are here to support you.
Check out the portfolios from our Austin-based team:
Let us know how we can help bring more Joy to your engagement session and wedding day.
The Joy Team