'Tis the season to say "I do"! Planning a wedding during the most wonderful time of the year comes with its own set of unique challenges and opportunities. If you're dreaming of a Christmas wedding, you're in for a treat.
From the twinkling lights to the cozy atmosphere, a winter wedding can be enchanting. To ensure your special day is picture-perfect, we've compiled a list of 10 essential details to consider when planning your Christmas wedding. As your trusted wedding photography and videography experts, we're here to help you capture every magical moment.
10 Must-Have Details for Your Christmas Wedding
With many winter weddings, couples usually lean into a Winter Wonderland theme. This is typically pulled together with the colors light blue, silver, and white, and includes wintery details. While a Christmas wedding can incorporate some Wonderland elements, there is so much more that you can do to elevate this special season throughout your décor!
Unique Christmas Wedding Details
Here are 10 must-have details for your Christmas wedding:
1. Include festive decorations. One of the joys of a Christmas wedding is the built-in décor. Embrace the season by incorporating festive elements. Think beyond traditional red and green; consider gold accents and opt for a cozy rustic vibe with touches of pinecones and evergreen. You can also lean into it in small ways---which all add up to elevate the experience for your guests. For example, line the ceremony aisle with something festive, like wintery trees or boxes wrapped in paper and bows that matches your theme. For the reception, use Christmas balls in the bottom of your centerpiece vases or as part of your seating chart, or include sprigs of holly on your printed signs. (Pro tip: to elevate the Christmas theme, start by incorporating the festivities earlier on. This can be included in your engagement session, save-the-dates, or wedding invitations.)
2. Place a Christmas tree as a backdrop in a high-traffic area. If your venue allows, consider incorporating a beautifully decorated Christmas tree as a backdrop for your ceremony or reception. If there’s one placed in the entry way of your wedding, this is a great place for couples to drop off their gifts. It's a classic and timeless element that will add a festive touch to your wedding photos. (One of the best things we’ve seen at a Joy Christmas-themed wedding is having guests sign ornaments as a guest book alternative. Those ornaments can be what you use in your future home!)
3. Wear warm and cozy attire. While a summer wedding might call for lightweight fabrics, a Christmas wedding allows for luxurious, warm attire. Consider long-sleeved wedding gowns, velvet suits for the groomsmen, and fur stoles for the bridesmaids. Not only will everyone look stylish, but they'll also stay warm and comfortable throughout the celebration.
4. Highlight seasonal florals. Opt for deep red roses, white lilies, and evergreen accents for a classic Christmas feel. Consider incorporating pinecones, berries, and even some subtle holiday greenery into your floral arrangements for that extra festive touch.
5. Warm up the ambiance with light. Create a romantic and intimate atmosphere with the soft glow of candles of varying heights and sizes into your centerpieces and aisle décor. If your venue doesn’t allow for candles, then we highly recommend using twinkling Christmas lights or LED tea lights. Light, in any form, not only adds warmth but also enhances the magical ambiance of a winter wedding, making it perfect for capturing those dreamy moments on camera. (This is one of the easiest and most important on our list of 10 must-have details for your Christmas wedding.)
6. Offer a hot beverage station. Combat the winter chill by offering a hot beverage station and offering hot meal options for your guests. A cocoa or coffee bar, complete with festive toppings like whipped cream, cinnamon sticks, and flavored syrups, will not only keep everyone warm but also serve as a delightful focal point for candid shots.
7. Serve seasonal signature cocktails. Warm up the celebration with signature cocktails inspired by the season. Whether it's a spiced apple cider cocktail or a peppermint mocha martini, these festive drinks will help keep spirits high. You can also consider Christmas-themed names for your drinks, like "Meet me under the mistletoe", "Candy Cane Cupid" or "Mr. Claus" and "Mrs. Claus" for His and Hers!
8. Get your guests to throw faux snow or petal confetti. Add a touch of magic to your wedding photos by incorporating faux snow or petal confetti. Imagine walking down the aisle as a gentle snowfall surrounds you, having guests throw tinsel or glitter as you leave your ceremony, or dancing your first dance together while soft petals drift down from above. It's a whimsical detail that will make your photos stand out.
9. Send your guests home with a little piece of the holiday spirit with a Christmas-themed favor. Consider personalized ornaments, gingerbread cookies, or DIY hot chocolate as wedding favors. These thoughtful gifts will not only be appreciated by your guests but will also serve as a lasting memory of your magical Christmas celebration.
10. Have a grand exit. End your celebration with a grand exit that reflects the season. Whether it's a sparkler send-off or a flurry of snowflake-shaped confetti, make your departure as memorable as the rest of your day. If you want to really take it over the top, leave the venue in a horse drawn carriage, or have Santa Claus exit in front of you! Your photographers and videographers will capture the joy and excitement of your exit, providing you with timeless images to cherish.
We hope you were able to get into the festive spirit with these 10 must-have details for Your Christmas wedding. There are many opportunities to infuse your special day with the enchantment of the season. From festive decor to warm attire and seasonal details, every element contributes to the magic of your celebration.
Looking for some more inspiration? Here is some suggested reading:
As you embark on this journey, remember that your wedding photography and videography team is here to help you capture every moment, ensuring that the joy and warmth of your Christmas wedding will be cherished for a lifetime. Get in touch with us to secure your wedding date today!
[Photoshoot in the spotlight: Vivianne + Nick in Houston and Shelby + Joshua in DFW, Texas]
The Joy Team