The wedding day is an important time to honor your parents and the sacrifices they have made to help you get to this point. With Father’s Day coming up over the weekend, we’re thinking about Dads! Here are the best photos to take with your dad on your wedding day.
Keep in mind as you read this article that the role of Dad might look different in your life. If there is another individual like a godparent, stepfather, grandfather, or other person who has played an important role in your life, then take these photography ideas as ways that you can also honor them!
10 Wedding Pictures to Take with Your Father
From posed shots to candid moments, it’s important to have a plan of the big day so that all the moments which are important get documented. If you want photos with a special guy in your life, here are 10 moments to consider:
1. Having a First Look This tops the list of photos to take with your dad on your wedding day---and it works whether you’re the bride or groom! Have Dad stand in place and then do a grand reveal of your wedding day attire. (This often leads to a sentimental frame-worthy memory.)
2. Putting on Your Accessories Whether it’s fastening a necklace or putting on cufflinks, have Dad lend a hand with an accessory. They’ll be standing in close proximity and likely sharing some kind words or laughs with you.
3. Putting on His Outfit or Accessories If Dad needs help with his bowtie, suit jacket, or shoelace, make sure you’re there to help lend a hand! This will make for a sweet picture.
4. Giving Dad a Meaningful Gift If you’d like to help him feel honored on the wedding day, hand-select a gift that helps show him the role that he’s played in your life. This could be a custom tie with a childhood photo printed on the back or a handkerchief, custom socks with a sweet message, set of cuff links, or engraved whiskey glasses.
5. Walking the Bride Down the Aisle Of all the photos that capture the highest point of emotion on the big day, it’s typically this one!
6. Posing in a Formal Setting No matter what your family looks like, having some pictures with formal poses will be important additions to your wedding day album. Make sure to get different variations, like with Dad, Dad and Mom, and the full family.
7. Having a Moment Alone From sitting with Dad in the car on the way to the ceremony, to having a drink together at Cocktail Hour, make sure any private moment is documented. The candid frames captured here will be special.
8. Giving Your Spouse a Handshake or Hug Whether this occurs at the end of the aisle or during family portraits, it can be a sweet photo to get Dad interacting with your new spouse.
9. Having a First Dance This is usually the point of the reception when all eyes are on dad so enjoy this time and bust a move together!
10. Giving His Toast at the Reception If the Father of the Groom or Father of the Bride does a speech, make sure this makes the list for photos to take with your dad on your wedding day.
Hire Award-Winning Wedding Photography and Videography for the Big Day
At Joy Photo and Video, we have a team of pros around the country and specialize in these metropolitan areas:
Dallas/ Fort-Worth (DFW)
All of our photography and videography packages include the delivery of an online gallery with copyrights and raw photo files.
We pride ourselves on exceptional service and high-quality documentation of the big day.
[Photoshoot in the spotlight: Marin + Koltin in Jacksonville, Florida.]
The Joy Team